Handy tips for cooking pasta
- Follow the cooking instructions on the packet to the letter and don’t cook your pasta for a second longer. It should be cooked al dente, or even slightly undercooked, as it will continue cooking with the hot sauce.
- Don’t even think of adding olive oil to the water. OMG!
- Never, ever wash pasta after you’ve strained it. You’ll give any Italian a heart attack! The only exception is if you’re making a cold pasta salad.
- Never reheat pasta, as it loses all its flavor and texture. There’s an exception here too: it’s OK if you’re making a pasta bake.
- Make the sauce while the pasta is cooking; that way they’ll both be hot when it comes to mixing them together.
- If you want to make genuine Italian recipes, stick with the originals, as there are lots of different versions. Did you know, for example, that a true carbonara sauce shouldn’t contain any cream? Or that a proper Bolognese sauce should have more meat than tomato?
Jot down these key points and you’ll soon be creating pasta dishes as tasty as the real thing from Italy. Buon appetito!