Why do we love pasta?
It’s one of those rare questions with many valid answers. Why do we love pasta? Well, here are some ideas.
1. Because it’s so versatile. There are a thousand and one pasta recipes, it goes with meat and fish, it works wonders with any number of sauces, it can be sautéed or baked, it can be eaten warm or as a cold salad… It’s even delicious simply boiled and drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkled with salt.
2. Because it comes in all shapes and sizes: spirals (fusilli), cylindrical (macaroni, penne), long and thin (spaghetti, noodles), with a filling (ravioli), square (for lasagne)…
3. Because it keeps for a long time, so you can buy it in bulk and store it away to use as you need it.
4. Because it’s quick and easy to cook. Whether you like your pasta well cooked or al dente, you don’t have to be a master chef to rustle up a plate of pasta.
5. Because in addition to basic pasta (flour and water), you can also get thicker, more nutritious pasta with eggs or with added vegetables for extra vitamins, minerals and colour.
6. Because everyone loves it, which makes it a winner when you’ve got dinner guests: pasta never fails.